Most parrots are omnivores, they can eat a wide variety of foods. But there are some common foods that you should never feed them. Do you know which foods are safe for your parrot and which ones are dangerous?
Here we share a list of the foods to never feed parrots. You may be surprised!
- Dairy, cheese, milk and ice cream (yogurt is OK)
- All types of sugar (even organic raw sugar) and candy
- Artificial sweeteners
- Chocolate and cocoa
- Salted food (do not add salt to your parrot’s food)
- Chips and fried food
- Bacon fat
- Carbonated beverages
- Bird seed (with exceptions for small parrots)
- Nightshade fruits and vegetables (including potato, eggplant, tomatoes and goji berries)
- Raw rhubarb
- Raw beans
- Onion, garlic and leeks
- Celery stalks (long pieces)
- Fruit seeds and pits
- Red palm oil (very high omega-6 essential fatty acid levels, see ‘Bird Food Ingredients to Avoid‘)
- Pet food (packaged dog and cat food)
- Pellets for parrots – these contain synthetic vitamins and other ingredients best avoided. Cook BBFE! un-sprouted as a MASH and feed in place of pellets. MASH Recipe.
- All synthetic food colorings
- All synthetic bird vitamins (see ‘Supplements’ blog posts)
Leslie’s Balanced Exotic Avian Maintenance Diet Food Plan for parrots and finches provides all the nutrients they need using a variety of safe and healthy foods. Learn about Leslie’s holistic approach for preventing and healing disease in animals.
Did you enjoy this list of foods to never feed parrots? Are you trying to improve your parrot’s diet? If you have any question or want to know more about a specific food, please contact us or post a comment!